Thursday, August 25, 2016

Running is better at the beach

I took a break. I hadn't planned to, but PA got blasted with 95+ degree weather for weeks and it was just too hot to move, let alone run. This week it cooled off finally, and after I got through some cluster migraines earlier in the week I was ready to get back out there. I start meetings for school on Monday, so this was my last chance to get to the beach before school gets under way. As I was packing for a quick two-day trip, I threw in my sneakers and then my running clothes. I was a little surprised after I did it, but I thought, well, at least this way I'll have them if I decide to go out.

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the beach and I stayed late and decided that running in the morning would be my best bet. I woke up and kept talking myself into the run. I finally got dressed, plugged in my headphones and headed out the door. There is something about running the boardwalk that inspires me. I did my Week 1 Day 3 run and it went well. By the end I was winded and appreciated that I had run out further than I needed for my 30 minutes and had a nice half mile cool down. Overall, my pace was just under what it was last run, but just by a hair. I thought it might have been faster considering how hot it was last time, but I've been pretty lazy for two weeks, so that might explain things. I guess I should be glad that my pace was about the same and not slower. Baby steps! There was a nice breeze and many other runners out, which even as they passed me over and over again, I found reassuring.

My next week bumps things up a bit and I think I am ready for it. It's a small change and I'll see how it goes. I'm not aiming for a particular date to run a 5K by, so I have the gift of time. I want it to be enjoyable and to make progress.

On another note, I have a really yucky bruise/blister on my big toe. I'm keeping an eye on it, but it may need a doctor. It doesn't actually hurt unless I bump it into something, but it looks pretty bad. I banged it on the beach today which I think made it worse and looking at it made me want to pass out. I had to distract myself with Amy Poehler's audio book. Luckily it worked and I've felt okay for the rest of the day. Screw you, pain preception reactors. I don't know if that's a real term, but I know whenever I see something that looks like it hurts I get faint. Empathy, even for myself, at it's finest.

Anyway, tomorrow is a rest day-I hope to take a walk, and then on to Week 2 Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment